Victoria Botany Stroll with me and botanist Manos Bazanis, Athens, December 2017.
Hosted by Victoria Square Project in Athens I invited botanist Manos Bazanis to lead a walk with me around the Victoria area of Athens to find out the answers to questions like;
- Are those oranges edible?
- Which tree has that smell?
- What is the name of that plant everyone has on their balcony?
- What is that tree with the strange looking seed pods?
- Do any of the trees or plants in the city have medicinal qualities, or should we just be happy that they clean up the air we breathe?
- Are the trees and plants that grow here native to Greece?
- What would happen to all the vegetation if the council stopped caring for it?
- Do trees in the city look after each other in the same way that trees in a forest do?
We were also joined by Catriona Gallagher, part of the team behind the Athina Garden City project.
The walk started and ended at Victoria Square Project Space on a sunny and crisp Sunday afternoon. After the walk I shared some experimental cookery and balms made with the addition of some Athenian fruit, flowers and herbs back at Victoria Square Project. We then picked Manos brains with a million questions.